Thursday, September 29, 2005

God's Power for God's commands


I am reading Piper's follow-up book to Desiring God called When I don't Desire God - How to Fight for Joy. So far I am really appreaciating this book. One of the things that struck me in the last chapter I read was concerning the rich young ruler. In Matthew 19 there is a story of a rich guy who met Jesus and asked him what he had to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus says that he has to sell everything he owns and give it to the poor and follow him. The rich guy walks away sad because he can't give up all his riches. Now usually when I read this story of hear it in a sermon I assume that this story is not aimed at me. I am not rich. But Piper points out that apart from God working in our hearts, we are all too selfish and stubborn to turn toward God. Our turning to God is a gift from him, and not something we can do on our own. After the Rich guy walks away Jesus says that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. The disciples knew that was impossible, so Jesus responded by saying that "with man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible". With man it is impossible choose God over money, but with God all things are possible.

As humans we need to rely on God's empowering strength to choose him over things of the world. It is a difficult concept to wrap your mind around, that we have to rely on God for the stregth to follow his own commands, but it is also freeing. I know by know that I can't do it on my own. I have tried many times but my heart is just so hard. Only God can soften it. This is a fact that should bring us to prayer constantly. St. Augustine himself prayed, "Grant me the grace (oh Lord) to do as you command, and command me to do what you will! O holy God, when your commands are obeyed, it is from you that we recieve power to obey them." He realized so early into the life of the church that even when we obey God's commands it is only by his strength and empowering that they are done.

No comments: