Thursday, September 29, 2005

Bowling and Blue Behinds



Last night, being Wednesday, we went out for 99 cent bowling. After 10pm at the local bowlerama, games of bowling, fries, and hot dogs are all 99 cents. This has been a tradition for me for a probably 3-4 years. Originally it was myself, Wes, and Steve as the core with the likes of Tumber, Vanessa, Lup, Mark Chan, Tim Sree, and Gedny as the group who came out every once in a while ensuring that we would average 5-6 bowlers per week.

I discovered however last night that there is something missing from the bowling nights of old. What is missing is the competition that we used to share. Whether is was the loser who had to pay for everyone's games, or snacks or whatever, I can't seem to bowl when nothing is on the line.

The ultimate example of our betting on bowling happened during the winter 2 years ago. We had probably already played a game to decide who was paying, but we wanted to go a step further. We decided that whoever lost the next game had to stick their bare butt in the snow. (I don't quite recall how we decided that, but it happened). I believe Tumber was our first loser. In the following weeks Steve, and Wes had to follow suit. Eventually I was coerced into taking a seat in the snow (although I never lost), and the rest is history.

After taking this stroll down memory lane it becomes so clear why bowling doesn't have that same spark anymore. No one is sticking their butt in the snow.

P.S. A special thanks to wes for allowing me to post this embarrassing picture of him. Wes, when I see you next, I will ask your permission.

No comments: