Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Defence of the Participation and Enjoyment of MMA.


One of the things that I have enjoyed most over the past 5 years has been watching and following the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). As a quick point of clarification, MMA is the sport, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), is a type of “league” (and most popular) so to speak for MMA.  

Earlier today a dear friend posted on Facebook questioning whether or not Christians can fight in the UFC, and I suppose by extension, whether believers in Christ should watch it. 
I have thought about these things before, but I thought this may give me a good opportunity to bring some of these thoughts together. They are by no means exhaustive, but just a few quick thoughts that came to mind. 


1. Context makes it allowable
One of the questions by friend asked was “With numerous Biblical commands on us to love our neighbour (Matt. 22:39), be kind and compassionate (Col 3:12), be gentle (Gal. 5:23), how does fighting square with that?” Based solely on these commands, and without any context, it seems to me that body checking someone in hockey, shooting someone in paintball, and maybe even stealing a base in baseball may be prohibited. 


It is the context of the action that affects whether it is allowable or not. If GSP and Josh Koscheck went outside the octagon two days after their UFC fight and fought for no good reason, then I would say that is wrong. But, when they enter the octagon, there are rules, regulations, and agreements that make their fighting allowable. The same police officer will break up the fight outside will pay $500 to watch the fight in the octagon.


In the same way in the NHL, when the Leafs play the Sens, and Colton Orr fights Matt Carkner, it is okay, because it is a recognized part of the sport. If they fought on the streets it would not be okay. Context would also allow me to fight someone who came into my house to steal my possessions or harm my family. If I saw the same guy on the sidewalk walking his dog (a different context), it would not be allowable. 


2. Paul’s experience with Boxing
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”
(1 Corinthians 9:24-27 ESV)
Paul used this boxing analogy to illustrate a point. He is saying that when we compete, we need to do it compete in a way that will allow you to win. When Paul boxes, he doesn’t do it by swinging at the air aimlessly. I think it is fair to infer from this that he would box by swinging at the opponent, to win the fight.   


As a side note, he even says, “I do not box as one beating the air.” Does this mean that Paul personally boxed? I am not sure. 


The question that remains is, “Why would he use something for an analogy if the example in the analogy is something wrong in itself?” If we are supposed to follow Paul, as he follows Christ, then why would he use an analogy of something that is by nature sinful? In my interpretation, when he talks about boxing as not to beat the air, he means I box to hit the other guy and win, because that is the goal of boxing. Just like I don’t run aimlessly, I run with the purpose of winning the race. 


3. Fight analogies
In addition to the boxing analogy, Paul gives us a command to fight, and said he did it himself:
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6:12 ESV)
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2 Timothy 4:7 ESV)
In both of these verses he qualifies his fight by saying it is a “good” fight”. I think this means there is fighting that is good, and fighting that is bad. His spiritual battle is a “good” fight. We would all agree that someone fighting someone weaker than they are to steal their money would be a “bad” fight. Where does MMA come in? This is where I would argue that it maybe wrong for some, but not wrong for others. For some it is “good” fighting, and for others it would be “bad” fighting.


4. MMA is not illegal
It is legal according to our government. This does not make it right, necessarily, as the government allows things that I do not think Christians should engage in (sex outside of marriage, abortion, etc.) But it does say something that you are not breaking the law of the land by participating in MMA. 


5. What is the point or MMA?
My friend, in his Facebook post also said, “But the point of UFC is to hurt your opponent.” 
I would disagree with this point and argue that the point of MMA is not to hurt your opponent, but to defeat your opponent. It is obvious that you are going to hurt you opponent if you defeat them, but I still think the distinction is important. 


I could also use the analogy of disciplining your child by spanking. The goal is not that they get hurt, but to correct their behavior. But it is obvious that in the action of spanking, the child is going to get hurt. As a parent, the goal is not to cause lasting damage, but temporary pain for the purpose of future correction.


In MMA, the goal is not that they get hurt, but that you win the fight. It is obvious that in the action of fighting your opponent will get hurt. As a MMA fighter, the goal is not to cause lasting damage, but temporary pain for the purpose of winning the fight, and for sport, competition, entertainment, earning a living, etc.


6. Mutual respect among MMA fighters
Mutual respect amongst opponents is some of the greatest honour you will see in competitive sports. When hockey players shake hands after the playoffs, it is usually not with true joy (on occasion it is), but mostly ritual. When MMA fighters embrace after knocking each other around, it shows that the heart behind the battle is to see who is best, and to compete for the prize. Rarely is their a fight held and there is hatred towards the opponent. The vast majority of the time (95% and up in my estimation) are two guys competing like Paul instructs us to compete. To gain the prize. 


7. It is okay that it is not everyone’s cup of tea
I am arguing that participating in, and watching MMA fighting can be a wrong for some, and not others. God has made us all different, and so let us embrace that some will enjoy it, and glorify God with it (yes I just said that), and for some it will be sin. 


I would love to hear your thoughts and interact more on this!

4 comments:

Ben said...

Jamie

great reasons and thinking behind this. I have two more personal questions:

If you had the speed, size and strength, would you fight?

If one of your sons wanted to pursue it as a career, what would you say?

Graham Watt said...

Hey Jamie,
I embrace your words of Point 7. Graham

jamieunited said...

@ben: It is hard to think theoretically, but if my life was different then now than I would just try to seek God with my talents and abilities. I think I would try it out, but I would fear the lifestyle of women, money, fame, etc. I would hope I could navigate it to make Jesus known in that realm (that desperately needs strong Christian dudes living Godly lives).

as for my boys, Vanessa and I want to get our boys into some sort of Martial art once we are back from africa. If one of them became good enough, I would continue to let them move forward as far as they could. If that is what they wanted to do, then I would encourage them. i would want to check their motivations, and how it was affecting them in their walk with God, but i would need to do the same if they pursued a future in hockey or any other sport.

Russ Martin said...

Jamie, a very well written and thought provoking post. I will have to simmer on this. I personally don't enjoy MMA or have much desire to "entertain" myself with it, however you've made a good case that it's not a sin and I respect that.




At what age do you think it's appropriate to introduce this to your children?