Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Forget about God's Will for your Life!

From Francis Chan's book, Forgotten God:
It is easy to use the phrase "God's will for my life" as an excuse for inaction or even disobedience. It's much less demanding to think about God's will for your future than it is to ask Him what He wants you to do in the next ten minutes. It's safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day
In working with students, I often hear talk of wanting to know "God's will for my life". I also often feel like it is a cop out for not wanting to commit to something that they probably know they should do. But, they haven't seen it written out in their alphabet soup, so God's will is still hazy.

I just wish that people would be obedient to what God has revealed, and then concern themselves with what God has not yet revealed. God has revealed so much to us in his Word, and yet we often spend more time thinking about the things he has not revealed!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts, Jamie! I've encountered the same issue and agree with you. Lets be active in doing what God has told us to do before trying to figure out what He hasn't.