Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"balanced life with a little bit of God" = Matthew 7:21-23?

This quote from Francis Chan in Forgotten God makes me angry. It makes me angry because it is true. It also makes me angry because I see a lot of it in myself:
Nowhere in scripture do I see a "balanced life with a little bit of God added in" as an ideal for us to emulate. Yet when I look at our churches, this is exactly what I see: a lot of people who have added Jesus to their lives. People who have, in a sense, asked Him to join then on their life journey, to follow them wherever they feel they should go, rather than follow Him as we are commanded. 
We have our own plans to live like everyone else in the world, and add Jesus in as fire insurance. This is an insult to his Kingship, and we live in danger of Matthew 7:21-23

1 comment:

Russ Martin said...

Thanks for sharing this Jamie. Reading that quote makes me want to read the book. This is equally convicting for me. Let us know if you find some ways to overcome it.