Sunday, April 30, 2006

Mailmen, not Editors


I am realizing that it is going to take me a while to completely unpack all that God taught me last week at “Together for the Gospel”. I feel extremely privileged to have been there. Going to the conference, I knew that I was in for a treat with MacArthur, Piper and Sproul being there. But the other four guys, Mark Dever, C.J. Mahaney, Ligon Duncan, and Albert Mohler, I didn’t really know too much about.

Mark Dever is the Pastor in Washington at Capitol Hill Baptist Church, and also the founder of 9 Marks Ministry. His talk was on “The Pastors Understanding of His Own Role”. The main thing I took from this message was the fact that we are supposed to spread God’s message. We aren’t supposed to pick and choose our own things to share, but simply share God’s message. Dever explained that we are God’s messengers, or mailmen, just delivering the mail that God has sent. Mailmen aren’t supposed to get the letters and then change them to their own fancies. They are just supposed to deliver the goods! The Pastor/Evangelist is the same. God has given us a message in his Word, and we are just supposed to pass it on. It is simple but profound.

In today’s Christian world, too often we are trying to make the message more attractive. But it isn’t ours to change.

Let’s move forward giving the goods that God has given, no more, no less.

No comments: