Wednesday, December 21, 2005

God's Plan in The Horse and His Boy

Yesterday I finished reading the 3rd book (chronologically) in the Narnia Series called, The Horse and His Boy. At first it was hard for me to get into as much as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, or even The Magician's Nephew. I think that is because when I read The Magician's Nephew I knew that the story was important as to the creation of Narnia, as well as learning about where the wardrobe gets its power, etc. And then of course with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe it was interesting because of the recent release of the movie, and that it is just such a famous story. So then when I arrived at The Magician's Nephew there was no hype or anything. As the story went on though I began to enjoy it more and more, and in the end found the book fun and entertaining.

One of my favourite parts of the book was when Shasta finally met Aslan. He was just nearing the end of a long journey to inform the Narnians about the coming attack of the Prince Rabadash from Calormen. Shasta was tired and hungry when Aslan met him. Shasta first feared for his life in Aslan's presence because he had never heard of Aslan, and that he was good. Soon Shasta learned that through many of the difficulties of his journey Aslan had been there, and even in some cases, Aslan had caused the difficulties. The book goes on to record Aslan saying:

"I was the Lion." And as Shasta gaped with open mouth and said nothing, The
Voice continued. "I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the
cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the
jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new
strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time.
And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a
child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight,
to receive you"

Shasta learned that through the events of his life, Aslan had been there. He also learns that although at the time, some of the things Aslan did seemed bad, in the end they worked out for Shasta's good.

The obvious picture C.S. Lewis is portraying is that through all the events of our life, God is working through them. Sometimes we don't understand why He is doing the things He is doing, but it doesn't mean that in the end they won't work out for our good. Romans 8:28 says:

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

This verse gives me perspective for life to know that when things are difficult, there is a purpose and plan for it all, even if I cannot see it at the time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's so true. Good post. I'll try and finish the next book soon so you can read it!
lubya.