Saturday, September 15, 2012

Surprised by Judges 2

This morning as I got out my Bible and schedule for daily readings I got excited! It is Judges 2-5 today! And you know what that means.... EHUD!  So I began reading in chapter two and a verse immediately jumped out at me. Joshua had just died, after living through all the amazing works coming out of Egypt and then through the wilderness, and then as God gave Canaan to Israel. But then it says this:

And all that generation also were gathered to their fathers. And there arose another generation after them who did not know the LORD or the work that he had done for Israel. (Judges 2:10 ESV)
 The very next generation after Joshua did not know about all that God had done for Israel! No wonder everything spiraled downhill after Joshua all the way to David! And then time and time again in the OT we see generation after generation not aware of what God had/has done for them.

I just made me think about how I am passing on the greatness of God to my kids. Will I allow them to not know what God has done? Will I take this taks lightly, and just assume they will know God? I often am confronted with students in Uganda who think they know God just because they came from a Christian family. But will my kids just assume they know God because they came from a Christian family? It becomes different when you personalize it, rather than criticizing what you see in others.

God, help me instruct my children in your ways, so that they know you and your many great works!
And now, onto EHUD!... And SHAMGAR!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a bonus feature of this post, here is a video of a song that has really been encouraging my faith recently.

No comments: