Tuesday, August 11, 2009

How the Mighty Fall

A couple years ago I read the book, Good to Great by Jim Collins. It had been quite popular in my work circles, and so I gave it a read. I found it quite interesting and useful for ministry, as well as just general principles for how to make groups of people work best.

Now, a couple years later, Jim Collins has another book out called How the Mighty Fall. While Good to Great was about analyzing how companies becoming great, How the Mighty Fall, as the title indicates, looks at how big companies fall from greatness.

He looks at 5 stages of decline, of which I will do a synopsis of each. They are as follows:

  1. Hubris Born of Success
  2. Undisciplined Pursuit of More
  3. Denial of Risk and Peril
  4. Grasping for Salvation
  5. Capitulation to Irrelevance or Death

The reason for reading such a book is to take these principles and to look at what might apply to the organization I work for.

Should be an interesting read!

No comments: