Monday, August 28, 2006

Thoughts on Mark Driscoll's "Missional Ministry"


Tonight I listened to a sermon my Mark Driscoll called "Missional Ministry". This sermon addressed how to reach different groups of people with the gospel. One of the things I took away from this is that we don't need to reject making the gospel culturally relevant. We don't change the gospel, but we can change the way we present it. For example, if a person going to minister in China got dressed up in a traditional Chinese outfit, and sang a Chinese song to share the gospel, no one would have a problem with that. However, there seems to be a trepidation in the church about becoming relevant to postmoderns. In many ways, I am one of them. I am scared that in trying to reach postmoderns, we will may compromise the purity of the gospel. But is it any worse compromise the gospel, than it is to completely ignore them by not sharing it at all? By the grace of God we need to find a way to reach ever increasing new groups of people with the True gospel of the Bible.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Jamie

I agree with what you said. It is a fine line to walk. I think Driscoll does it pretty well.

Ben

Terra said...

Hey James,

You bring up a good point once again.

T

Nick said...

I am loving Driscoll. My wife and I have been listening to his current series (via Podcast) on Spiritual Gifts. Excellent! http://www.marshillchurch.org/feeds/